Thursday, January 23, 2014

A day out

So today was my day off from teaching. Last week I had no day off so this week I had to take advantage of my free time and I spent the day out and about in the city. I started the day with Chinese class and then went out with two of my co-workers and we went bowling.

Bowling here in China is apparently a big thing. It's also very much the same as it is at home. I had to rent a pair of the same red white and blue bowling shoes that live in every bowling alley everywhere, it seems. There were the same kitschy animations on the electronic score machine. You know, the silly strike, spare, split and miss animations that we so cool when we were little? Another thing that is the same as in the good ol' USA...I still suck. I'll admit it, I'm no good at bowling. I only play because I think it's fun, not because I have any future in the sport.
The bowling alley at Swan Hotel in Harbin

 After we left the bowling alley, we hit up a Chinese barbeque restaurant. It was pretty good but all the food was so spicy. I wasn't able to eat much. Our server kept staring at me too. It was like seeing a Foreigner was rare or something (which it is in Harbin) and it was a little creepy. His staring also caused him to mess up our order. He brought us lamb instead of beef. The problem was easily fixed however, so I'll let it pass.

After our meal, we did a little shopping. We went to a little place called Wal*Mart. Maybe some of you have heard of it? It was pretty much like any Wal*Mart in America except things were labeled in Chinese instead of English. There was even Great Value and Mainstays products (which was nice for me. It made me feel a little at home). I managed to buy a jar of crunchy peanut butter and some cheese. It made my day.

And finally, we walked through the central district of Harbin. There were many lighted decorations out for Chinese New Year, which is in a week. As I write this, I can hear fireworks going off somewhere near by. A little while ago I could even see them from my apartment window.
A lighted New Year display in Harbin.
 Well, until next time! Live well.
This is a bus stop. On the left the green lights are encased in ice sculptures.





No comments: