Sunday, October 20, 2013

Getting close

I am going to be leaving for China soon to teach English. I'll be teaching in Harbin, China at Kid Castle. I leave soon - two weeks or so from now. The HR director of my school sent my work permit and letter of invitation out yesterday and I should get in a few more days. Then I have to sent the permit and invitation to the Chinese Embassy to get my work visa. That will take about a week, according to the teacher Kid Castle hired just a few days before me. After that, there is nothing keeping me from leaving.

It's been crazy trying to get ready. I'm overwhelmed. I don't what to take right away and what I should have shipped - if anything at all. I've begun packing - a little at least. I've packed all the new things I've been buying over the past couple of weeks. It's not everything - not by a long shot. But it's a start.

I'm also really excited. I've never been so far from home. I am looking forward to being on my own with the added challenge of a new culture and a foreign language. I'm looking forward to passing my knowledge of English and my love of learning to other people.

And, still, I'm a little bit terrified. I've never taught before and I'm going to be going a very long way away. Even though the thought of learning  a new language it exciting, the fact that I know very little Chinese is also scary. I don't know how I'm going to function outside of my school until I pick up the language. I may be buying a lot of mystery food until I can figure out the Chinese characters enough to go grocery shopping.

Harbin has a very cold climate in the winter. It averages about 1 degree Fahrenheit in January. I've been stocking up on long underwear and heavy socks. I'm not looking forward to freezing, but I still can't wait to go. I'll be able to handle the cold for one year. It'll be part of my grand adventure.

Well, that's it for now. Keep checking back. I'll try to update once a week or so. Bye!

No comments: